It’s time for Top Ten Tuesday! Thanks Jana from That Artsy Reader Girl for creating this meme.
This Week’s Topic: Bookish Pet Peeves
This one took some thinking on. Especially since I’m very uncomfortable complaining about things. I don’t want to come off as rude or dramatic. Here we are.
- Being interrupted. If you come up to me and you hear an audiobook playing or see that I’m reading, please wait for me to pause or put down the book. I promise you that I’ve seen you approach. I have ADHD. Movements catch my attention. I just want to get to a stopping point.
- Repeated Phrases. This one is more mild in all honesty. It’s things, like she let out the breath she didn’t realize she was holding, or and just like that. Sayings now and then are okay but multiple times over and over to the point where I can predict when it’s about to pop up…. yeah.
- Gatekeeping. Everybody reads differently. Everybody has different tastes in books. Not everybody is going to read the same. Some people read fast. Some people read slow. Some people prefer audiobooks. Some people prefer physical books. Some people prefer ebooks. In the end, it doesn’t matter. Their reading style and preferences don’t really bother you. Leave it be and enjoy your own reading.
- Presumptions. This is one of the worst ones for me. They assume your reading preferences based on your gender, or they assume that you only read because you have no life. I can’t tell you how many comments I’ve had in my life. Wouldn’t you be happier if you went out and enjoyed life? Oh you’re a reader? What’s your favorite romance novel? I could go on.
- Cliffhangers. I just can’t even. Cliffhangers are the worst for me. Especially when I don’t have the next book out or the next book hasn’t been released yet. I’m not even going to lie. I have been known to throw a book with a cliffhanger.
- Dogeared pages. This one isn’t as major to me as most. It does irk me a little bit though. It forever alters the page!
- Hateful reviews. It’s okay not to like a book. You aren’t going to like every book you pick up and that’s okay. However, there’s a difference in not liking a book and giving constructive criticism and outright bashing a book or the author. It’s just rude and disrespectful. There’s a difference between “I felt this book really just didn’t have a great plot and the characters fell flat.” and “This author was so stupid to think anybody would want to buy this garbage.”
- Bad editing. I want to preface this by saying that every book is going to have a typo slip here and there no matter how edited it is. What I’m referring to is no editing at all. I once started a book that didn’t use punctuation. At all. Not even once. I couldn’t get past the first three pages.
- Whiny characters. I just can’t. Not even a little. I don’t mean the ones that are bitchy and hateful. Like Aphrodite. I mean the ones that are all woe is me and constantly whining about something. Nothing ever makes them happy.
- When somebody says they don’t read because they don’t have time to read. First of all, you’re giving a backhanded comment about readers having too much time on their hands. Which is not true. Secondly, you do have time to read. You just choose to spend that time doing other things that you enjoy more. Which is fine. There’s nothing wrong with that at all. I’d prefer you to do things you really enjoy. However, don’t say it’s because you don’t have time. It just isn’t true.
I’d love to see yours! Please feel free to put your link in the comments!
Follow me everywhere: https://linktr.ee/StarsBooksAndTea